Sunday, August 26, 2007

SHOCK AND AWE

The early morning was cool with a strong wind blowing. The athletes at the transition pre-race were all intense. I saw Iron Pol and he looked pumped and ready.

The oldest athlete is 88 y.o. Amazing!!!

I was at the finish to watch Chris MacDonald win. He was behind most of the race but hung in there. Walking back to my room I was thinking of those still on the bike and not even running the marathon yet. To think-- this finish line is open 9-10 hours.

The conditions as the day went on got hotter and sunnier. The temperature is over 90.

I am in-between volunteering and taking a break. The marathon course goes past my hotel and i am able to watch and cheer for the athletes. I have seen Mary Sunshine run past looking so strong and smiling.The people that I know are off the bike except for Iron Snoopy and Geek Girl. I keep checking the athlete tracking.

I just walked down and Iron Snoopy just went by with a determination and strength that is unbelievable. I am heading down to the finish to work until midnight. It will be so amazing to watch these athletes. I know how I feel when doing a marthon and cannot imagine doing a bike and run first. I know I will shed a few tears when I hear the words for so many "You are an Ironman!!"

Waddling to the IM finish to be celebrate and cheer......................

4 comments:

Joe said...

so cool....soak it all in!

Irene said...

Love the photo! It sounds like a wonderful event!

Fe-lady said...

I wasn't there...but I bet I can speak for many of the athletes who didn't get a chance..."Thank you" for volunteering! It's a hard job! I think I would rather be racing! :-)

Unknown said...

How awesome for you to volunteer. Looking forward to your 'race report from a volunteer's perspective'

>