Sunday, March 08, 2009

D.S.T.

In a strange way, it is like the magic of Christmas eve. You go to sleep and in the morning when you wake up something has changed during the night. You have either gained or lost an hour of sleep. You can stay awake and watch for that exact moment when the time changes on the cable box or your cell phone. How magical is that?

Last week, the sun was up at 6am. I had time to get a run in before I went to work. The morning is my favorite time to run. I was excited to have daylight and not run on the dreadmill. Then I found out this was the weekend of the time change. Sorry to say but I was down right pissed off. As I stood there complaining and whining to House, I realized he was just looking at me. He said he would have taken me much more seriously if I was not waving my morning banana at him! I had to laugh and realize how stupid that I sounded. I'll adjust and we all do.

Waddling to run on the dreadmill...........

Addendum : New England Journal of Medicine published a report (OCT 2008) that heart attacks increase 5% for the 2 weeks in spring after the time change. I feel better now in some strange way.

6 comments:

Denise said...

I said the same thing this morning, my early morning runs will have to be pushed back a little bit on the weekends now till we have some light. :-(

Unknown said...

I'm not a fan of daylight savings time either. oh well. it happens whether we want it to or not.

Sunshine said...

Waving the banana cracked me up, too.
But seriously.. for a few weeks, DST makes early morning running more of a challenge (and probably more dangerous) .. I do sympathize!

Steve Stenzel said...

Yeah, I've heard that about the Heart Attacks too! Something about how there are thousands more the Monday after DST.

Good luck out there in the AM!!

ShirleyPerly said...

Funny about the banana! I hadn't heard about heart attacks increasing after DST but am not happy to be swimming in more darkness in the mornings :-(

Vickie said...

I'm with you on this unnecessary time change this early in the year. Makes no sense. It might be lighter out longer in the evening but my argument has always been: it needs to be lighter out during the daytime hours when most people (school children in particular) are up and not at night when they need to be in bed. I prefer morning running as well and it was a double whammy to come home from sunny Mexico to darkness until 8 am in addition to the rain, clouds, and cold. So for now I am back to running after work until it gets light out in the morning again and I don't like it! Thank a Michigan lawmaker for this stupidity.

>