Sunday, July 12, 2009

CRYSTAL LAKE O.W. SWIM









The alarm went off at 4:45am and I peeked out to see dark, rainy clouds. I had packed my bag on Friday night to take the pressure off in the AM. There were 9 of us meeting at Lifetime to make the 1:15 hr drive. The were many laughs in the car on the way and I felt very relaxed when we arrived. You had the option of a 1 mile or 2 mile race. My choice was definitely the one mile and TriSharkie chose that distance also. Iron Snoopy picked the 2 mile.

All if us got our wetsuits on with the all the laughs and jokes that could be made. I got in the water to swim alittle before the start and a panic set in. I remember how hard it was to catch my breath after being kicked. I knew this was a make or break point for me and I was not going to break.

The swim went great. It was an out and back course. My sighting was bad as usual. I looked up at one point and was swimming into the swimmers on their way back. Whooops. My goal was to finish in under and hour and my time was 50:01. I was thrilled and felt great. We stood on the beach and cheered and yelled for everyone in our group.

Now for the best part. After changing, we pulled out the coolers and had a great tailgate party. There are 4 of us training for our first iron distance and 2 who have completed 2 IM. Conversation was great. How lucky I am to have met such phenomenal friends.











This morning I got up and did a 4 hour bike with Iron Snoopy and the laughs continued.

Waddling through a great weekend.........

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Nicely done! Crystal Lake, Il? Tha'ts where my Husband is from.

Amytrigirl (aka Amybee) said...

GREAT time for that race! Congrats!

It is so fun when you can train with people that make you laugh, encourage you and inspire you.

Have a great week!

RBR said...

50:50?! So awesome! You blew one hour out of the water (no pun intended, but yet, still funny)

Great job!

I told Ironsnoopy I actual lived in Crystal Lake as a kid. Small world.

ShirleyPerly said...

Great job on your swim!

I hate getting kicked or elbowed during a swim but it seems to get easier to handle with each open water swim. Hopefully people will spread out quick with the tide at B2B so contact will be minimal.

Vickie said...

Sounds great! Wish I lived closer.

Stef0115 said...

Sounds like fun! Group swims with friends are the best!

>