Monday, October 12, 2009

Brrrrrr.....


This year's Chicago Marathon was different in many ways. The most noticeable was the temperature. It was 37 at the start with wind and clouds. This year also because of training for an Iron distance race, I did not sign up. My running buddy Snips did sign up though. In my training plan, I needed to have around a 15-16 mile run. Thus I started the race with Snips with the plan to exit the course around mile 16.

It was different to be at the starting line and taking in all the excitement with no plan for finishing. I envied all those running their first marathon. I remember the butterflies that I felt, the doubt of what the day would bring, and the thought that today would be life changing. Never would I have guessed that I would ever be training to be Iron. What a gamut of emotions spinning around.

Snips and I ran along, chatted and took in all the excitement. She was running so strong. The crowds and parties were smaller this year due to the cold. The enthusiasm was unchanged. At times, I felt drawn to run the entire thing but that didn't last long. At mile 16, I gave Snips a hug and off she went with a smile. I knew she was getting stronger by the minute. She ran to a PR which was 13 minutes faster than last year.

I did not stay for the parties and celebrations. I grabbed the train and head for home to spend some time with House before his surgery today. This will be his 7th surgery in a year. Because of the osteoporosis from his fracture to his right ankle years ago, it has fractured and the is a hole in his Talus bone. Today they are taking bone marrow from his hip and they will re-fracture his ankle. They will reconstruct his ankle with a ceramic frame and bone marrow. It will take months to know if it is successful. The goal is for him to be healed enough to travel to North Carolina for my race. All prayers for him are appreciated.


Training is still important but not a priority. I will get as much in as I can when I can. I was blown away yesterday when I returned home to find that Iron Snoopy had dropped a meal off at my house for when I needed it. Wow, words could not describe my appreciation. How lucky I am to have her as a friend.


As I sit here in the waiting room, it actually brings life to a stop for a few hours to catch my breath for the weeks ahead.

Waddling, waiting, and praying.................

9 comments:

SWTrigal said...

Hoping things are going well. And sounds like a perfect training day at the marathon. Well wishes for your hubby..

TRIHARDCHIK said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you. You really do have a lot on your plate right now. Hang in there. God bless!

Unknown said...

Best wishes to House with his surgery.

Vickie said...

Best of luck on the surgery. I think your training is done so you don't have to worry.

Irene said...

Yes, a lot of healing prayers! House has been through quite a lot this year. I hope everything goes well for you both.

Amytrigirl (aka Amybee) said...

Hope that all is well with you and House...

ShirleyPerly said...

Great to hear Chicago was cold this year. What a great way to get in your training as well as support a friend.

I like your attitude about training being important but not a priority. You have a LOT going on otherwise and it's easy to get overwhelmed otherwise.

Fingers crossed that I will see both you and House in NC!

Joe said...

Glad the "group training run" went well...that's encouraging.

Hope House is home and recuperating by now...wow!! Prayers continue for all of you!!

Kimberly Rae said...

thoughts and prayers for you and your hubby... I am amazed at all your doing with all you have going on! Taper is coming... are ya ready :o)

>